A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
Cookies may be either ‘persistent’ cookies or ‘session’ cookies:
- a persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date; and
- a session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a User but personal data that Catalina stores about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
The Site uses session cookies to submit data to Google Analytics to:
- recognize a computer when a User visits the Site;
- track Users as they navigate the Site;
- improve the Site’s usability;
- analyse the use of the Site;
- administer the Site;
- prevent fraud and improve the security of the Site; and
- personalise the Site for each user.
As a rule, cookies will make your browsing experience better. However, you may prefer to disable cookies on this site and on others – however blocking all cookies may negatively impact on the usability of this Site and others. The most effective way to do this is to disable cookies in your browser.
For more information about cookies (including how to disable/refuse them) we suggest consulting the Help section of your browser or taking a look at the About Cookies website which offers guidance for all modern browsers: www.allaboutcookies.org.